Evolution Computing Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Evolution Computing Forum » FastCAD v7 » Changing drawing scale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing drawing scale
Mike Christian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Christian   Email Mike Christian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been doing some scale drawings that will be used to make scale models (as in miniature structures). I have been drawing the structures in 1:1 scale (1' = 1') and the models will be built in 1:87.1 scale. I want to change the scale of the drawings from 1:1 to 1:87.1, and need all the dimensions in the scale drawings to be full size. I'm probably not explaining this well, so here is an example: A full size wall is 87.1 feet long. The dims on the original drawing read 87.1'. I want to convert the drawing to 1:87.1 scale, and have that length dim read 1'. I know how to manually change each dim property, but was wondering if there was an easier way to accomplish my goal. Most of my experience with CAD has been doing electronic systems, so this is new to me. Thanx!
jglatham
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jglatham   Email jglatham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I draw everything at 1:1, with no scaling. Scaling happens when printing. I re-scale details on drawings. For example, if I want a 1/2" = 1'-0" detail on an 1/8" = 1'-0" drawing, I'll draw a detail, with dimensions, at full size (1:1), just as everything else, and then Scale it up 4x. The drawing will be printed at 1/8" = 1'-0". The detail prints at 1/2" = 1'-0". But, because the dimensions on the detail will be 4x their originals, before Scaling up the detail, I explode them. There are two issues with doing this. The dimension explodes into "Bottom Center" origin text, lines and triangular polygons where the arrow heads were. After exploding the dimensions and scaling the detail, I resize the dimension text to match the legible text size on the rest of the drawing (e.g. 10" high on the 1/8" = 1'-0" drawing gives 0.1" on finish drawing), erase the polygon arrow heads and replace them by Changing Arrowheads at both ends of the dimension line and my detail is 1/2" = 1'-0" on an 1/8 scale drawing.

This should work with the entire drawing. I imagine you will want to Scale the drawing by 87.1 - I'd be interested in the reason for this particular scale - and manipulate the resulting "dimensions" to fit the text and arrowhead scale accordingly.

There may be, and probably is, a simpler way to do this, possibly using XREF, scaled as desired, but I am pretty primitive in my use of FCAD. This clunky approach works for me.

From: Nogales, Arizona usa  | Report this post to a Moderator
lvesely

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lvesely   Email lvesely   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I utilize xrefs for my details in drawings. As noted earlier we draw everything 1:1 and do the scaling in the printing process. I utilize a drawing sheet for 1/4" = 1'-0" plotting. When I reference a detail that is to scale 1"= 1'-0" I scale the detail by 4 when inserting it on the drawing sheet. The dimensions still are relative in the referenced detail and when I scale the detail it prints out with 1/8" hi lettering and dimensions.
From: Riverside, Ca USA  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Reid
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Reid   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Reid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to print a 1:1 drawing at 1:87.1 and show the dimensions at "model scale" you could use Edit -> Change -> Dimension Style... to change the dimensions scales to 1/87.1. That would only change the dimension values.
Mike Christian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Christian   Email Mike Christian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for the replies guys, but I think I didn't phrase my question clearly. It is a bit convoluted, but I'm not sure how else to put it.
I draw the structures at full (1:1) scale, with the dims reflecting the full scale dims.
Then I want to convert the drawing to 1/87.1 scale with the dims shown in full "real" size. This is to aid in the model making. A scale rule is available, so this step is not essential, but it is a convenience.
As an example, a wall that is 87.1 feet long would be drawn as 87.1 feet, and the original dim would be 87.1 feet. When the drawing is converted to "real world" size it would be drawn 12 inches long and the dim would show 12".
I realize I can print the drawing to any scale desired, but the object is to draw the structure to scale showing "real" dims.

Mike Christian

Bill I think you are interpreting what I want to do correctly, however if I do as you suggest, I would have do change each dim individually, right? I was looking for a way to change all dims at once. Thanx.
Bill Reid
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Reid   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Reid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, no you can change all the dimension values at once using the CHANGED command, selecting All(enter A) then setting the Scale value by in the dialog box to 1/87.1

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Evolution Computing, Inc.

©2010 Evolution Computing, Inc.