Evolution Computing Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Evolution Computing Forum » FastCAD V8 Development » Fastcad V8 release date

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fastcad V8 release date
Julian Brotherton

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Julian Brotherton   Author's Homepage   Email Julian Brotherton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any date in mind for a general release ??
From: Horndean, England  | Report this post to a Moderator
mriddle
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mriddle   Email mriddle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, the scripting is incomplete, and some modifiers (INT) are incomplete. When these are done and tested, we should be ready to ship.

I need testers for OSX, Windows, and Linux.
The Windows version will be first to sip, with OSX soon after. Linux has had very little testing so it will be delayed.

kaimaui

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaimaui   Email kaimaui   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would very much like to test v8 for windows.
how do i go about it.
Thanks

KAI

PatMcL

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatMcL   Email PatMcL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the new version have 3D capabilities?
From: Salt Lake City, Utah  | Report this post to a Moderator
clay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clay   Author's Homepage   Email clay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too would like to test on v8 for Windows. I've been faithful for a LOT of years. [Smile]
Mike Christian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Christian   Email Mike Christian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

I have used your products starting with EasyCAD 2 for DOS, then FastCAD for DOs, then EasyCAD for Win, and both version 6 & 7 of FCW/FC7. Since I am now retired, I have lots of time to play, so would enjoy Bet Testing ver 8.

Mike

mriddle
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mriddle   Email mriddle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those who would like to beta test (we are ready to start a new round of testing) please email me directly at mriddle at fastcad.com (sub @ for at) with your OS and version, how much memory, type of display, your name and email address, optionally a phone number so I can call in response to bug reports). I'll give you download and authorization information.

It currently supports Windows 7 and 8 (32 and 64 bit systems), Linux 32-bit, OSX10.8.

John R

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John R   Author's Homepage   Email John R   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If V8 for Windows 10 is available, is it possible to download and test. I am particularly interested in the DWG/FC7 interchange format.
Regards
John Rosier

mriddle
Administrator

In V8, DWG is not translated - it is supported directly, like both the V8, V7, and V6 formats - there is no translation, so there is no translation loss.

Currently working to bring it up to date with OSX 10.11 and IOS 9.2 before release.

Also, modifier support for some entities is not complete.

Send me an email asking, with direct contact information (full name, phone, address, etc., and type of system), and I'll send you an NDA. When signed, I'll give you access to the beta.

F Mattox

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F Mattox   Email F Mattox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a long time user of Fastcad V7.2(1?) I discovered that it was not upgradeable after trying to install in Windows 10. Since most of what I do would be classified as a retired/hobby user, I don't need FastCad anymore and was thinking about EastCad. So before I Order EasyCad 7.5 would I be better off waiting for FastCad V8 and seeing what the pricing is going to be, and will there be a V8 of EasyCad?
mriddle
Administrator

Note that the upgrade price for you to get FastCAD 7.5 or EasyCAD 7.5, since you already have FastCAD, is the same. And
EasyCAD is a subset of FastCAD.

v8 Still has work to do on modifiers, entity geometry support, and other issues, so its release, while long delayed, is not imminent. I would recommend you update to the latest v7 FastCAD.

You can download the free beta of Collected Thought from the new page, and get a no-cost idea of what v8 will be like, as it is a super-set of CT.

mriddle
Administrator

Fixed and posted a new version of CT and FC8 - on some systems, the installer would never run. The problem was that it assumed a default printer existed. On new systems and systems where it did not, and where MS office was never installed, no such default exists and the installer crashed. This has been fixed, so if you tried a beta and could not get it to install, please try again. Thanks.
mriddle
Administrator

We are getting close, and would like volunteers to test FastCAD8 over the next few weeks. OSX, Linux, and Win32/64 for Win7 and newer. You should alredy know how to use FastCAD v6 or v7.

Please notify me by mail of you are interested. We are aiming for a June release.

Buzzfan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzfan   Email Buzzfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done on the progress - I'll email happily, but also thought I'd publically post a few ideas of my personal wish list for s new update and hope others will add to this list.

My top priority - compatablilty with iOS - I switched to an apple mac air a few years ago, run parallels with the max 8gb ram and stil struggle daily so to be able to ditch parallels, overloading ram, and loss of function commands would be terrific - and save me the uk stg 100 pa parallels licence too! Boot camp was tried but a nuisance.

Next - drop down menu boxes please is as cursor hovers over them. Would customisable menus be an easy a option to offer, or to be able to drag certain commands to a toolbar?

Having a palette of certain fixed layers/lines/fills would save me a lot of time switching back & forth too.

Then default 10%/20/25/30.... Percent options on the mod command- seems a small task but it would save me loads of time

Sketchup export/import would help too, and probably offer you a greatly enhanced user base.

A separate suggestion would be to offer a very much simplified 2d starter programme - the difference between Easycad and Fastcad never seemed that significant - I'm thinking of a much simplified programme that could be free for 3 months supported by good online tutorials and a few scripted exercises - that could massively expand your user base.

Also if you are reviewing the future of Easycad, as opposed to Fastcad, concentrate on ease of learning not ease of use or functions. I started using Easycad initially, back in the days of DOS on a 286 monochrome laptop - work had just installed their first cad station with Autocad (7?) but it seemed fiendishly complex - I chose Easycad after reading a magazine review of all cad software which advised that Easycad was the easiest to learn - I didn't care about missing out on complex features. 25+ years later I still spend an hour or so daily using Fastcad professionally and have no intention of relearning any other unless forced to.

| Report this post to a Moderator
angellily

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angellily   Email angellily   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone
Which version have 3d capabilities ?
best regards
angellily

kktmatt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kktmatt   Email kktmatt       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I get a copy of FastCad Version 8 for Mac?
From: northern california  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Evolution Computing, Inc.

©2010 Evolution Computing, Inc.